Thursday, September 26, 2013

Update of Vermeer's 'The Milkmaid', by Tod C Steele

© 2013 Tod C Steele  'Milkmaids'  16x16"  Acrylic - iPaintAnimals.com
 
This was the most challenging painting I've ever done - and one of the most rewarding. I'm a little strange in that often I look at something and ask myself, 'would a cow somehow improve this situation?' Whenever I saw Vermeer's 'The Milkmaid', with that empty window and somewhat depressing room, I just knew a cow would brighten things up and make things much more cheerful for the hardworking young lady!

It's hard to be unhappy when a cow's in the room, that is unless you are the one who must clean up after it. But we're not worried about that here because the cow's hindquarters are exactly where they should be...outside.

The biggest challenge, by far, was the girl's face. It went through about 5 renditions, starting with Quasi Moto, then to Carol Channing, back to BoBo Moto (Quasi's better looking brother) and then finally as shown above. It was as good as I could possibly get it, and I said, '...enough, Tod!... don't you dare touch it lest another Moto makes an apprearance!

Tod's Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment